Be careful of these five things when you're at the store picking out a Weight Loss Supplement
1. Over the top promises - - Any weight loss supplement that promises that you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight is a sham. Any weight loss supplement that says you can lose 10 pounds in seven days or lose dress sizes in a few days is either lying, or else is not particularly safe.
Usually the products that promise ultra fast weight loss are nothing more than diuretics that will help flush water out of your system so that you will drop a few pounds of water weight. If you want to lose some water weight quickly it's safer to take a simple over the counter diuretic, just make sure that you don't get dehydrated.
2. Illegal ingredients -- Even though ephedra and other dangerous weight loss herbs have been outlawed by the FDA you can still find them used in products that you can buy online or sometimes in stores that have old stock. Be on the lookout for Ma Huang, which is a natural form of ephedra, and ephedra tea because taking any product with any variation of ephedra in it can cause serious health problems or even death.
3. Side effects -- Some weight loss products can have serious side effects like high blood pressure or increased heart rate. Products that contain stimulants like caffeine or Guarana should be used with caution. Even if the side effects aren't life threatening they can be unpleasant. Some herbal weight loss supplements list side effects like uncontrollable diarrhea or oily anal discharge.
4. The company's reputation -- It's worth taking the time to do a little research to find out more about the company that makes a particular kind of weight loss supplement. Go to the company's website to find out more about them and then look at some consumer reviews to see if the company is reputable or not.
5. How long it takes to work -- Usually if a product promises to work within days you'll know the product is something you should pass on as too good to be true. But if the product claims it takes months to be effective you should pass on those too because that is a good indication that the product doesn't really work and the company just wants to make sure you continue buying it for months before you catch on.